Friday, May 25, 2012

Second Chance

The gospel today shows us Jesus living what he preaches about forgiveness.

We know that Peter denied Christ three times. Now, Jesus not only forgives him but gives him a chance to redeem himself.

When appearing to his disciples, the first thing he said was “Peace be with you.” – meaning kahit na iniwan nyo ako sa ere nung pinapahirapan ako, kahit na nagtatago kayo, at kahit na ikaw, Peter, na leader ng mga alagad ko, ay itinanggi na kilala mo ako, pinapatawad ko na kayo. Peace na tayo.

As if that was not enough, Jesus gave Peter an explicit way to redeem himself. Pinatawad na sya n Jesus, pero baka hindi pa napapatawad ni Peter ang sarili nya. That’s why Jesus gave him three times to redeem himself, to profess how much he loves Jesus, and to make sure he really does.

Peter felt distressed when Jesus asked him the third time, so aside from saying “yes”, he professed that “Jesus knows everything.” Probably Peter thought that Jesus lost confidence in Him kaya paulit ulit sya nagtatanong, baka nag sisigurado sa sagot ni Peter. However, it was during that time that he felt that way that he answered more than a “yes”, it was then that he professed what he knows about Jesus, it was then he professed his faith. “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you” a statement of faith, of surrendering to Jesus.

Yes, God will readily forgive us, but again reminds us that things will not automatically be easy. Just because he forgives us doesn’t mean things will be easy. He reminded Peter that he would not have an easy time, but that he would glorify God. Then Jesus asked him to follow Him.

Are we feeling guilty about something we’ve done (or did not do) in the past? Do we know that Jesus will readily forgive us, that’s why we have the sacrament of reconciliation. Am I willing to experience hardships, to die of myself as I live for Jesus?

Prayer:
Dear God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for being with me this week. Thank you for your love that is bigger than anything bad I’ve done. Thank you for your forgiving heart. Lord, I ask that I learn to forgive myself as well, because if you can forgive me, then I should also be able to forgive myself. As I seek forgiveness from you and from myself, may I also be willing to serve you, especially when it is not easy to. May I live my life glorifying you. This I ask in Jesus name. Amen.

Stay blessed! Happy Weekend!

In Christ,
-g-



No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...