Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Work to Eat


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/082912.cfm) reminds us that we need to work for what we want.

In the first reading, we can see the value St Paul teaches the Thessalonians:

On the contrary, in toil and drudgery, night and day we worked,
so as not to burden any of you
if anyone was unwilling to work, neither should that one eat

We are told not to be free riders in life. We need to work first before we eat. However, I believe this does not only apply to food. This also applies to God’s kingdom. We need to work first for God’s kingdom before we can enjoy it. We can’t just pray to enter God’s kingdom, to be with him in paradise. We also need to get our hands dirty and work for God, living our lives for his greater glory, for his purpose, then as the psalm says, we will eat the fruit of our handiwork..

As we commemorate the Passion of Saint John the Baptist, we see that his life is a reflection of this value. He worked for God. Unceasingly. Untiringly. He continued to work for God even if it was not easy, even if it was not comfortable to. Thus, we can say that as by the way he lived his life, by the way he worked for God’s kingdom, he will reap the reward after his life on earth.

Am I willing to work for God’s kingdom? Am I ready to get my hands dirty? Or am I just praying to reap the fruits, to eat, without working for it? Am I ready to work for God even if it is not easy to?

Father God,
Thank you for your word. Thank you for reminding me the importance of working for your kingdom. Lord, give me the strength to work tirelessly for you. It is not easy, but I know it is worth it because I am working for you, I am serving you. I ask Lord that you accept whatever little work I can offer, and use it for your purpose and for your glory. I may not understand everything, but I just surrender and work in faith, knowing that when the day comes, I will be able to reap the fruits of my labor, I will be able to eat with you in paradise. Amen.

Have a blessed day!

In Christ,
-g- 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...