Sunday, August 19, 2012

Para kanino?


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/081912.cfm)  reminds me of a particular commercial. There is a coffee commercial asking people, “para kanino ka bumabangon?” Today, we are asked, “para kanino ka nabubuhay?”

The second reading reminds us how we should live our lives. We should not live “of the world” – meaning having the focus on things of the world with all its pleasures. Worldly success, fame, fortune and pleasures will all disappear and fade together with this world. God is asking us to look beyond the here and now, and see ourselves spending eternity with God and preparing for it.

In the gospel, Jesus again teaches us about the Eucharist. What a bold, but true statement. Unless we eat him, we do not have life. Actually, we can put it the other way around. Unless we eat him and let him consume us, we will not have life, real life. Only Christ can give us real life – life outside of this world, life that no evil or death can take away from us. Eternal happiness with God.

We should live our lives in preparation for that. Although we can only imagine what eternity with God is like, it does  not mean we cannot prepare for it. On the contrary, preparation for eternity with God starts NOW. We should live our lives acknowledging he is our God. We should work not for earthly gain, but for eternal ones. As he consumes us, we should die of our own selves, our desires, and let him fill us up with everything that is his. Only then will we be able to prepare for eternity with God. Only then will we really live.

How am I living my life? Do I acknowledge that this world and everything on it is temporary, or am I too focused on achieving my worldly goals? Do I let the pleasures of this world blind me from seeing the reward of eternity in heaven? Para kanino ako nabubuhay, para sa sarili ko, o para sa Diyos?

Father God,
Thank you again for the reminder. Thank you for letting me realize that everything in this world is temporary. Lord, mahirap mag focus sa inyo, kasi madaming distractions. Lord, you know what is in my heart, and I ask that you always remind me of it. Sa inyo ako, Lord, and I pray that no matter how distracting the world may be, I remain focused on you and live my life in service of you and in preparation for eternity with you. Amen.

Have a blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...