Friday, August 24, 2012

Do you believe just because…?


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/082412.cfm) asks us a question that challenges our faith.

In the gospel, Jesus asked Nathaniel: “Do you believe because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree?” God is asking us today – do we believe in Him just because…?

We all have different and personal experiences with God. Some experienced him in a mighty way, saving them from sickness, accident, and the like. Some have experienced him in the ordinary things in life that others usually take for granted – vacant parking slot, available seat in the bus, a good movie on TV, etc. Jesus is asking us – do we believe just because of these things? What if we don’t feel him anymore, will we still believe? What if we don’t feel his blessings, will we still believe?  May we work on strengthening our faith and not base it on our feelings and experiences alone.

Is my faith based on my feelings or emotions? Do I get mad at God? Do I question him and move away from him when things are not going the way I want it to? How can I strengthen my faith in Him?

Father God,
Thank you for who you are. Thank you for continuously blessing me beyond what I deserve. Thank you for always making me feel your love and presence. Lord, I am sorry for not loving you the way I am supposed to. I ask that you help me strengthen my faith so it won’t be based on my feelings or emotions. May I have a solid faith founded on you and you alone. Amen.

Have a blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...