Sunday, August 5, 2012

Transformed

The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/080512.cfm) tells us how we are and can be transformed
In the first reading, we see a people who are forgetful. They grumbled against their leaders. They quickly forgot that it was Moses who led them out of slavery. They forgot all the great things God has shown to and done for them that enabled them to be where they were. They focused too much on their current situation and needs. However, we see God not giving up on them. He took care of them and fed them daily.
In the gospel we see people following Jesus not because they believe in Him, but because they saw miracles. They saw and ate the loaves and were filled. Mahilig sila sa libre. This is Jesus version of the first reading. The way God took care of the Israelites by giving them food, Jesus also took care of the people following him. He gave them food, not only the physical bread, but more so, the spiritual food, the spiritual nourishment that we all need.
God wants to transform us, from being like these people who are after physical food, superficial things, to people really seeking spiritual nourishment. God wants to transform us to being more and more like Him. The psalm says that He takes care of us, he gives us food, not just to fill our stomach, but to fill our spirit. The second reading says that we should put on the new self and let go of our old, sinful self. How? Jesus in the gospel says to come to him, and we will be transformed.
Do I remember all the great things God has done in my life? Do I quickly forget them when I feel there is an urgent need or concern in my life? Do I look not just for physical nourishment, but more for the spiritual which only God can provide? Am I willing to come to Christ, humble myself, and allow Him to transform me to be more and more like him?

Dear God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for always providing for me. Thank you for all the things you’ve given me and for all the times you’ve been there for me. Sorry Lord if I am quick to forget these things when there seem to be an urgent concern in my life. I pray that you never tire of loving me, and as I let you love me, I know that I will be transformed and give you back the love you deserve. Amen.

Have a blessed Sunday!
In Christ.
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...