Sunday, August 17, 2014

HPF


The WORD today (See http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/081714.cfm) reminds me of the power and importance of a humble yet persistent faith.

The first and second readings, together with the psalm, reminds us that God is for everyone. For all people. For all nations. And in the gospel, we see Jesus enacting this.

We see an inspiring woman in the gospel:
But Jesus did not say a word in answer to her.
Jesus’ disciples came and asked him,
“Send her away, for she keeps calling out after us.”
He said in reply,
“I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”
But the woman came and did Jesus homage, saying, “Lord, help me.”
He said in reply,
“It is not right to take the food of the children
and throw it to the dogs.”
She said, “Please, Lord, for even the dogs eat the scraps
that fall from the table of their masters.”
Then Jesus said to her in reply,
O woman, great is your faith!
Let it be done for you as you wish.”

And the woman’s daughter was healed from that hour
.

What
humility, persistence, and faith the woman showed. This is one of the few times Jesus actually “tests” a person. Usually, Jesus grants the people’s requests – for healing from sickness and disease, from freedom from evil spirits, even from death. However, today’s gospel shows us a different side of Jesus. His approach initially seems tough. “Let the children be fed first, for it is not right to take the food of the children and throw it to the dogs” – meaning Jews first, the chosen people. Sila muna ang tutulungan ko. It doesn’t stop there. Jesus even compares her (being Greek makes her a non Jew, a gentile) to a dog. Grabe diba, request denied na nga, tapos kinumpara pa sa aso.

Did she stop there?

Of course not! It’s inspiring how great the woman’s faith, persistence and humility is. She was humble to come to him for her daughter’s healing, and was humble enough to accept and not be offended by Jesus words. Then we see her faith, na kahit parang nireject na sya ni Jesus, she still believed. We also see her persistence. She did not just leave. She humbly insisted on her request. on her faith. Sabi nya “Lord, even the dogs under the table eat the children’s scraps.” Kung baga, sabi nya, OK lang Lord na kung tingin mo aso kami, pero may faith parin ako na kahit konti, kahit tira tira nalang ng para sa Jews, ay makakapag pagaling sa anak ko. And when Jesus told her that her daughter is free from the demon, she did not say “Lord, sumama ka naman sakin para sure” or “Lord, sure ka ha?” She just went home having faith that Jesus words will come true, and she was rewarded seeing her daughter free. How great her faith is! How humble she is! Inspiring!

How about us? How do we react? When God seem to say “no” to our requests, even if we feel that our request is for our good, or for other people’s good, what do we tell him? Do we get mad, insisting that what we are asking is a good thing, or do we humbly accept his will but keeping the faith? Do we respectfully ask in faith, or are we proud, demanding that God grant our requests because we feel we are entitled to it?

May we always remember to have complete faith in God, yet humble enough to know and accept that His will is perfect, even if it does not seem to coincide with ours.

Father God,
Thank you for today. thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another Sunday. Lord, I thank you for reminding me how important faith, humility and persistence is. Thank you for inspiring and challenging me, Lord. I am sorry for the times I act like a spoiled child – wanting things done my way, wanting prayers to be answered my way. Lord, I pray that you help me have a heart like the woman. May my faith be firm, even when you’re not answering me the way I want to. May I be persistent in praying even when I don’t seem to get what I want. And may I always be humble to submit to your perfect will, not mine, especially when my will is different from yours. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...