Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Work for Nourishment


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/082714.cfm) reminds me that God wants us to work to be nourished.

Most of us need to work to survive. That's a fact. We need to work to be able to eat, pay our bills, and have a comfortable life. However, it is interesting and surprising to know that even God wants us to work. He is that concerned and involved in our lives. The first reading says that “if anyone is unwilling to work, neither should that one eat.”

God does not want free riders and wants us to work for food. But this not just the worldly food to sustain our bodies. Yes, it is true we need to work to have physical food, but this also applies to spiritual food. We also need to work to develop our faith. We also need to work to have our souls nourished. We have to do our part – read the bible, pray, maximize the sacraments – so our souls would be nourished as well.

In as much as God wants us to work to be spiritually nourished, we should not stop there.  We should work not only for ourselves and our own nourishment. He wants us to work for his kingdom too – to do his work, spread his love, and build his kingdom. If we are unwilling to work for Him, then we definitely would not taste the fruits of his kingdom.

Am I willing to work for my spiritual nourishment or do I expect God to just feed me? Am I ready to work for God’s kingdom and reach out to others? Am I ready to get my hands dirty? Or am I just praying to reap the fruits, to eat, without working for it? Am I ready to work for God even if it is not easy to?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another chance to love and serve you. Thank you for the reminder Lord that you want me to work for my nourishment. Help me move and act to work for it. And as I find nourishment for myself, my body and my soul, may I be ready and willing to work for you to build your kingdom. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...