Sunday, August 31, 2014

Transformed by Love

  
The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/083114.cfm) reminds me that God wants us to be transformed by love

The movie transformers has always been a favorite of people. from the cartoon days, to modern adoptaion of the movie, it is still a hit. It is such an awesome sight to see seemingly normal cars transform into huge robots and do great things.

God’s transformation of us may not be graphically exciting as them, but it is more powerful.

In the second reading, Paul reminds us as he reminded the romans, that we should not conform to his world. This is an evil world, thus we should not be one with it. Instead, God wants us to be radical, to allow him to transform us from the inside – from our mind and our hearts.

Do not conform yourselves to this age
but be transformed by the renewal of your mind

The gospel reminds us that Jesus wants this from us as well. He rebuked Peter for thinking like the world – protecting their master from harm. His mind was not transformed to see the greater good it will bring. Further, Jesus wants to transform the thinking and lifestyle of his disciples.

Then Jesus said to his disciples,
“Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself,
take up his cross, and follow me.

It will not be an easy task, but God wants us to be transformed and deny ourselves as we follow Him.

What should motivate us to transform? The transformers just does not transform for the sake of transforming. They have a goal as they transform – to save or protect someone, to destroy something, to find something or to fight someone. In the same way, our transformation should me motivated by something. Our transformation will only be real and constant if we are motivated by the right thing. God. Love for God. May the psalmist echo our motivation to transform – “My soul is thirsting for you,  O Lord, my God.” As we thirst for him, may we allow him to fill us and quench our thirst as he transforms us.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another Sunday. Lord, I thank you for the reminder that you want to change and transform me. May I be humble and willing. I know it may be difficult and challenging, but I know that you will be with me all throughout. Lord, may I always thirst for you, and may I always allow you to fill me and transform me with your love. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...