Monday, August 4, 2014

Never Doubt Him


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/080414.cfm) reminds us not to doubt God’s power
At once Jesus spoke to them, "Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid."
Peter said to him in reply,
"Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water."
He said, "Come."
Peter got out of the boat and began to walk on the water toward Jesus.
But when he saw how strong the wind was he became frightened;
and, beginning to sink, he cried out, "Lord, save me!"
Immediately Jesus stretched out his hand and caught him,
and said to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?"After they got into the boat, the wind died down.
Those who were in the boat did him homage, saying,
"Truly, you are the Son of God."
It’s easy to trust God when things seem to cooperate. it is easy to trust Him when situations seem to be improving. When Jesus told Peter to come to him, he did just that. He believed Jesus words, trusted in him, and looked at him as he started to walk on water. However, when he looked around and saw the strong wind, he lost his focus on Jesus. He let the world distract him.

How often are we like Peter?                             

Sometimes we think that God is powerless over the situation we are in. We think that like the winds, our problems are so overwhelming and Jesus has no power over them. We think that health, finances, relationships and other aspects of our lives are more powerful than Jesus simply because it seems to be logical.

In today’s gospel, Jesus is asking us to focus on Him and come to him. We need to have full faith in Him despite the things that are happening around us – our personal lives, our families, our country. Nothing is more powerful that God, so we just have to humbly come to him, and pray in faith as we focus on Him and his love and power.
Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another week to live my faith. Thank you for your reminding me of your great power and love for me, a man of little faith like Peter. Thank you for never being frustrated at my little faith, and for never giving up on me. Lord, I pray that you increase my faith. I know that nothing and no one is more powerful than you. All my problems, concerns, worries and fears are no match for you. I humbly come to you, in faith, bringing all of these, and I trust that you would continue to take care of me. Amen.

Have a blessed week!

In Christ,
-g-

PS
See related reflection:

pps
Sharing with you a song by casting crowns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaVg0cWkgAw&feature=related

Oh what I would do to have
The kind of faith it takes
To climb out of this boat I'm in
Onto the crashing waves
To step out of my comfort zone
Into the realm of the unknown where Jesus is
And He's holding out His hand
But the waves are calling out my name
And they laugh at me
Reminding me of all the times
I've tried before and failed
The waves they keep on telling me
Time and time again. "Boy, you'll never win!"
"You'll never win!"
Chorus:
But the voice of truth tells me a different story
The voice of truth says, "Do not be afraid!"
The voice of truth says, "This is for My glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...