Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Sweet For A Child


The WORD today (See http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/081214.cfm) reminds me that God’s word is sweet for the childlike

Children generally like sweets. Candies, chocolates, cakes, ice cream – these things are happy food for children. I remember the lyrics of a song by 50 cent – “I love you like a fat kid love cake.” And even for a lot of adult people, these are comfort food until now – things we don’t really want to eat because of the calories that make us gain unwanted weight, but when stressed or tired, generally makes us feel happy. Comfort food. Reward food.

In the gospel, Jesus again speaks of being childlike. To be great is to be like a child – seen as insignificant in society that time, but great in God’s kingdom for a child is fully dependent and submissive to his parent. As we live this life, God wants us to act as such. Fully dependent, humble, and submissive to God our father. (See related reflections below on this topic)

In the first reading, we see how sweet God’s word is to the mouth.

So I opened my mouth and he gave me the scroll to eat.
Son of man, he then said to me,
feed your belly and fill your stomach
with this scroll I am giving you.
I ate it, and it was as sweet as honey in my mouth
.

And in the psalm, we continue to see declaration of how sweet God’s promise is.

How sweet to my taste is your promise!
I gasp with open mouth,
in my yearning for your commands
Sweet. Word. Promise. Child.

How do we see God’s word? How do we feel when we hear God’s promises to us? Are we too busy to read God’s word, or do we give it it’s due importance in life? when God tells us he has great plans for us, and he promises salvation to those who come to him, do we feel impatient because we don’t want to wait for it to happen? Do we feel anxious because these may not be what we want to happen in our lives? Or do we feel excited, and feel want more of his word and his promises?

God’s word and promises are only sweet to those who have faith like a child. May we be willing to be childlike to experience it’s sweetness in our lives.

Father God,
Thank you for today. thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another day to love you, to feel you, to get closer to you. Lord, I am sorry for not giving importance to you and your word. Sorry for justifying my not being able to read and bask in your word with my being busy and tired. Grant me a heart Lord that would always want you and desire you. May I have childlike faith and heart, that your every word and promise would be sweet to me. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflections:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...