Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Child-like


Sharing a reflection I wrote two years ago

The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/071614.cfm) reminds me that God values us being childlike.

We see in the gospel:

I give praise to you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike

What is being childlike? It is the opposite of being childish.

A childlike attitude puts full faith and trust in the parents. Kapag bata, walang choice eh. The child needs to rely on the parents to walk, stand up, eat, etc. Ganun nalang yung dependency nya sa magulang. Ganun nalang yung tiwala nya sa magulang.

Complete faith.

A childish attitude is the opposite. It is the person wanting to have things his way. Kapag hindi nakuha ang gusto, magdadabog o magagalit. Gusto laging masunod. The focus is on the self.

This is why God blessed the childlike. He blessed those who relied on Him, instead of relying on their own personal achievements. He blessed those who know that they are nothing and everything they have came from God, not those who think highly of themselves because of their accomplishments and credentials. God wants us to have that childlike faith, that will humble and totally rely and trust on Him, knowing that He is the only one who loves us enough to die for us and save us from our sin, and that everything happening will lead to a full life in Him.

Are you childlike or childish? Are you proud of your own accomplishments and credentials that you forget the source of all those? Do you get mad at God when things doesn’t go your way, or when you don’t understand everything that is happening? Do you have full faith in God, confidently walking with him even if you can only see until the next step, knowing that He will be there every step of the way?

Dear God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for reminding me the importance of being childlike and not childish. Lord, as I live my life, help me develop a childlike faith. May I always trust in you, especially when things are challenging. A lot of times, I do not understand what is happening and how all these could turn into something great. But Lord, i have faith that you can see, and that as long as I cooperate in your plan, things will turn out great. May I develop that childlike faith as I live my life in service of you. Amen.

Have a blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflections:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...