Monday, July 7, 2014

Active Faith


The WORD today (See http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/070714.cfm) inspires me to have an active faith like the official and the woman in the gospel.

Sometimes, people mistake being lazy with having faith. Having faith does not allow us to just sit and wait on God to do things for us. Yes, sometimes that is true, especially with regards to things we cannot do anything about. However, we should also act and do something about the things we can control. We should also do our part and not just wait for God to do things for us.

In the gospel, we see this at work in the lives of the official and the woman. Both of them were in a tough situation. They both face uncertainty. They both need a miracle… and they both have faith. However, they did not wait for God to come to them. They did not wait for a miracle to just happen because of their faith. They did what they could. The official came to Jesus and asked him to heal his daughter. That was tough, leaving your dead daughter having faith that this Jesus could bring her back to life. And the woman with hemorrhages came to Jesus, did what she could to touch his cloak, having faith that it would heal her. She did not just wait on the side and hope one day Jesus would pass by her and heal her. She did her part.

Their faith was active. Their faith was translated into action. Their faith was rewarded.

We too are facing situations that are tough. Sometimes we feel that it is only our faith that keeps us sane, that enables us to get by. However, we are reminded not to just wait on the sidelines. We should continue to pray and have faith, and wait for God’s time to come. However, we should also act – especially on things we can do, on things we can control. No matter how big or small what we can do is, what is important is we do our best and we do what we can while having faith.

Father God,
Thank you for today. thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another week to live for you. Lord, I am sorry for the times I use my faith as an excuse for laziness. Sorry for just waiting and not doing my part. Lord, give me the wisdom to know the things I can do and change, versus the things I just have to wait in faith for. May I continue to do my best and do my part as I have faith in you. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...