Monday, July 28, 2014

You Started Small


The WORD today (See http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/072814.cfm) reminds us that we all started small.

They say that great things start from small beginnings. That is true. As we look in our lives, we know that we all started small. We were born a baby, knowing nothing on our own. Even Jesus, the Son of God, was born as a baby. It was God’s love and protection, through other people, that got us where we are today. No matter how much one achieves in life, that person started small. And it is by God’s love and grace, not by human power, intelligence, influence and connections, that one was able to achieve things.

in the gospel, we see Jesus telling us something similar. The mustard seed and yeast are small. Yet they eventually affect a lot. The mustard seed grew into a huge tree, and the yeast affected the flour. Whatever they accomplished, they started small. So we should not be proud.

We see in the first reading how God opposes the proud. God told Jeremiah that he took offense in the pride and hardness of heart of Judah – how they turned away from God. in times like these, it is good to remember what Job said “the Lord gives and the Lord takes away.” Just because God is a gracious and generous God, does not mean he will not take away things. Just because he is loving does not mean he is not just.

May we be warned by the psalmist to not forget God who gave us birth. Let us remember that we all started small, and remember that it was God who caused all the good things to happen to us.

Father God,
Thank you for today. thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another week. Lord, I am sorry for being proud. Sorry for being too full of myself and focusing on what I have accomplished and gained in this world. Sorry for thinking that it was because of me – my attitude, my skills, my intelligence, my connections – that got me where I am and what I have. Lord, may I never forget that everything comes from you and you can take them away anytime. May I be humble with everything, and generous with your blessings. Amen.

Blessed week!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...