Sunday, July 6, 2014

Rest


The WORD today (See http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/070614.cfm) reminds me that if we need rest, we should come to Jesus.

All of us get tired. That’s why we need sleep – to rest and recharge our bodies. We can’t act like robots and continue working until we can, until we have something left to do. We are human beings who need ample time of rest to recharge our body and give us energy to keep doing what we do.

In the gospel, we see Jesus inviting us to come to him so he can give us rest. All of us get tired, so his call is pretty applicable and relevant until now..

Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest

What would happen if we do come to him? Surely we will not magically feel at peace and have renewed strength. That’s not the rest he is talking about. Our problems of course will not go away. The rest he will give us is having the right perspective – knowing that everything in this world is temporary, and only one thing is importantGod. This will give us rest – rest from everything worldly that stresses and tires us out, and gives us strength with the perspective that our relationship with God and how we live our lives is the real important thing, and that is not so hard to work on.

May we come to Jesus.

Father God,
Thank you for today. thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another Sunday to spend time with you and the ones I love. Lord, thank you for always reminding me what is important is this life. I am sorry for being focused on the world that it stresses me out, that it tires me. I forget that everything here is temporary – fame, power, money, influence. Only one thing is eternal, and that is you, Lord. So may I just focus on you as I live my life here on earth. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...