Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Don’t You Worry, Child


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/052113.cfm) reminds me not to worry about things, and have childlike faith in God.

There is a story of a 7 year old boy riding an airplane alone. He was seated on the window side and was looking outside, admiring the beauty of the sky when the plane experienced turbulence. It was shaking hard that people started panicking. Some were already crying, and some prayed the rosary together – despite the announcement of the Captain of the plane that there is nothing to worry about. However, even if people were panicking, the boy remained calm and continued to marvel at what he is seeing outside. Finally, his seatmate asked him – why are you so calm? Are you not scared we are going to crash? To this the boy replied: “I am not afraid. My dad is the captain – I trust him

This is what Jesus wants us to have. This is why Jesus wants little children. In the gospel, he says that whoever receives children receives Him – and ultimately God. Why the special love for children? Probably because during those times, children were helpless. They were the least in society (together with women) so they were not given much importance. But more than that, I believe Jesus has special love for children because of their faith. Like the child in the story, children cannot do anything on their own. They have to rely on other people – to eat, to get dressed, to live their lives. They put their faith on their parents that despite what’s happening around, their parents will continue to take care of them.

The readings today are full of beautiful promises and reminders for us.

Yes, we will experience challenges and hardships, like Jesus warned us about in the gospel and first reading. But he also promised help as we go through these.

“… undisturbed in time of adversity… Trust in God and God will help you… love Him and your heats will be enlightened… has anyone hoped in the Lord and been disappointed? Has anyone persevered in his commandments and been forsaken? Has anyone called upon him and been rebuffed? … delight yourself in the Lord and he will grant your heart’s desires…”

Such powerful and inspiring words from God.

Like the child in the story, may we not focus on the challenges and persecutions or on what’s happening outside. Instead, may we have faith that God, our Father and Captain of our lives, will always be there and will not leave us.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for your word that continues to inspire me, that continues to encourage and strengthen my  faith. Lord, I am sorry for letting challenges overwhelm me. I am sorry for focusing on my emotions and on the challenges I am experiencing, instead of focusing on your love and power. Lord, I thank you that your reminder always come perfectly. I pray Lord that I be like a kid, fully trusting and relying on you as I live my life. May i always focus on you and your love as I live my life and as I serve you, and not on other things. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflections:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...