Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Blessed to Give


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/051513.cfm) reminds me that it is more blessed to give than to receive.

Many people, if not all, like to get gifts. It is a great feeling to be reminded that someone cares enough and remembers to give you something. That is why on birthdays and special occasions, we look forward to receiving gifts. However, do we feel the same way when giving gifts?

The first reading shows us Paul quoting Jesus in saying “It is better to give than to receive.” Is this true? Well, most probably those who have been serving God can attest to this that it is more blessed to give, to be on the giving end and be used by God to reach out to people. In our community, those who have served and sponsored during a retreat can attest how more blessed it is to be on the giving end, to be serving others, than it is to receive these blessings from others.

But in other things, is it true? It is really more blessed to give than to receive? I think so.

A candle loses nothing if as it lights another candle. Instead, is spreads light and enables another candle to shine bright for God, thus making the place a little brighter.

When we give, when we serve,  we are not only blessing others. We are not only making God’s love more alive in others.. because as we serve God, and as we do it well and properly, we also allow God to bless us. We cannot give what we do not have, so as we serve, we are telling God to fill us up first, give us graces, energy and love so that we can also share this with others. We are telling God we need healing too so we can be instruments of God’s healing to others. It may require more effort and energy on our part to serve… but we are sure that as we do so, we will be doubly blessed. We are serving a generous God who cannot be outgiven!

May we be inspired and challenged to serve God, and expect blessings as we do so.

Am I serving God? In what ways? Do I like to give to others, or am I too lazy and just want to be on the receiving end of things? What excuses do I tell myself to justify me not serving God, or not giving my all to Him? Do I realize that as I give to others, as I serve to God, I will be more blessed, because God is a generous God, and he cannot be out given?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for your word that reminds me and encourages me to give of myself for you. Lord, I pray that you change my heart and expand it so I would desire to give you more of myself. Magnify my service, Lord, so that as I give and serve you, your name would be glorified and your kingdom proclaimed. As I serve you, I ask you to fill me with everything I need – your love, peace, joy, healing and mercy, so that as I serve, these will overflow to others I am serving. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...