Thursday, May 16, 2013

Ain’t Over Yet


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/051613.cfm) reminds me that standing up for God never ends.

In the first reading, we see Paul standing up for God in front of the Pharisees and Sadducees. It became so violent that Paul was taken out to save him from being torn to pieces. Then God appeared to Paul…

Take courage.
For just as you have borne witness to my cause in Jerusalem,
so you must also bear witness in Rome

Surprising? We might have expected God to say “Good job Paul, now get some rest.” But He did not. God encouraged Paul to take courage, to continue to get strength and courage from God, because this is not yet the end. Paul will still have to bear witness to God in Rome.

This reminds me that our bearing witness for God does not end. It is not enough that we stood for God once, then we can rest already. God expects more. Well, he deserves more. As we stand up for God, as we do his work and proclaim his message, we should expect challenges to come to us. However, like Paul, we should take courage and continue bearing witness – even if it is uncomfortable for us, even if it will mean that there would be persecutions and challenges that we will face. We should not stop and be one in praying with the psalmist “Keep my safe, o God; you are my hope.”

Am I bearing witness for God? In what way? Do I experience challenges and persecutions as I do so? How do I react? Do I feel bad and stop bearing witness, just to avoid these challenges? Do I feel proud that I am facing persecutions as I stand up for God? Do I humble myself and rely totally on God – asking him for strength, patience and peace as I face these challenges? As I proclaim and stand up for God, do I do so with love?

Father God,
Thank you for today. thank you for reminding me how challenging it is to stand up for you and to proclaim your kingdom. Lord, I pray that these challenges, persecutions and hurt may not cause me to stop. Help me not to focus on these things, but just focus on the task you are giving me. May I always humble myself and get strength, peace and hope in you as I bear your message and work for you. And always, always, may I do everything with love, and out of love for you, no matter what. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...