Monday, May 27, 2013

Rich With What?


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/052713.cfm) reminds me to check my life what I am rich with.

The gospel tells a story of a man asking Jesus what he must to do have eternal life. Well, he certainly who Jesus was and was humble enough to ask Jesus what he needs to do. Jesus tells him the commandments, and pretty much like most of us who are trying to follow God, he says he has been doing these things. However, Jesus reminds him he still lacks one thing – his detachment from material possession.

Good news – if we can say that we have been doing (or at least have been trying to do) what Jesus told the man, we are on the right path. We are halfway there!

Bad news – is it not enough. There is still something lacking.

Jesus knows that although the man has been trying to live his commandments, he still lacks one thing. Detachment from material things. That is what he needs to give up. That is taking God’s place in his life. His being attached to material things prevents him from fully following and surrendering to God.

How about us? What is God telling us to give up? Is it detachment too? What are the things in life we are too attached to – career? Family? Material things? Power? Fame? Success? Bad habits and vices? 

May we search our hearts as we pray that God would reveal to us what else we need to give up, or what else we need to do to inherit eternal life.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for giving me another week. Father God, as I start another week, I want to thank you for my work. Thank you because this work, or this business, provides me food and gives me resources to live my life on earth, and gives me resources so I can help others as well. Lord, I pray that I may not be too attached to anything or anyone in this life. May nothing or no one replace your place in my life, and prevent me from fully following and surrendering to you. And I pray that you help me search my life to know what else I need to do to inherit eternal life. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

See related reflections:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...