Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Something Positive


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/052813.cfm) reminds me that sacrifice does not always mean you giving up something.

When we say sacrifice, it usually is related to separation or giving up something. I will sacrifice meat, junk food, sweets, etc. However, Christ puts a different perspective on sacrifices today.

and when he gives alms he presents his sacrifice of praise.
To refrain from evil pleases the LORD,
and to avoid injustice is an atonement.
With each contribution show a cheerful countenance,
and pay your tithes in a spirit of joy.
Give to the Most High as he has given to you,
generously, according to your means

Happily giving to others. Happily praising God.

Giving is not simply giving. The manner of giving and the attitude of the giver is important as well. If we give to others and God – our time, talents and treasure, that’s very good. But how do we give? Do we give just a bit, so we can say we gave. Do we give more, but not enough to hurt us. Or do we give our all? How do we give? How do we feel as we give? Do we treat it as an investment, wanting to get back something from it? Do we give with a heavy heart? Or do we give joyfully, our of love and gratefulness to God for all the blessings? Do we celebrate God’s goodness by giving?

Another “sacrifice” is refraining from doing evil. Avoid hurting other people. Do good. God has been so good to us that we should also be good to other people – even if people does not see and recognize us for it… even if people does not deserve good to be done to them.

May we see sacrifice in a different light, and may we not do sacrifices only during lent. Let us continue to give of ourselves, out of love and gratitude to God… and though it should not be our primary reason for giving to God, we should also take comfort in his promise in the gospel – “there is no one who has given up….for my sake who will not receive a hundred times…

Father God,
Thank you for today. thank you for reminding me the different ways we can sacrifice and show our love for you. Lord, thank you for continuing to remind me how you want me to live. Yesterday you reminded me that I need to give up whatever is taking your place in my life, whatever I am holding on to. Now you are reminding me the different things and ways I can sacrifice, that whatever I give up should be used for you and by you. Lord, empty my life and enable me to give freely, give happily for your kingdom. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-


Ps
See related reflection:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...