Thursday, May 9, 2013

Of Letting Go (Ascension 2013)


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/050913-ascension.cfm) reminds us that as we let go, God gives us something great.

There is an old song titled “The trouble with hello is goodbye”, and basically it tells that as we welcome and say hello to someone in our lives, with it comes the fact that eventually, we will have to say goodbye. It’s hard to let go. We sometimes get attached to people and even things that we do not find it easy to let something or someone go. However, sometimes, we have no choice. We eventually have to say goodbye to people and things, because we cannot hold on to anything forever.

This is probably what the disciples felt. How great those three years with Christ must have been… then he resurrected after being put to death. What a glorious feeling. However, we see today that Christ has to go back to the Father and would have to leave the disciples in this earth. However, with Christ leaving them, God gave them something great as well – the Holy Spirit. As a human being, Christ was limited by time and space. He can be in just one place at a specific time. But with the Holy Spirit, God is with all of us all the time. What a great reminder that as God takes away something, he has great plans and will give us something great as well, if not greater than what we originally have.

In our lives, this is true as well. We need to let go to receive a great, or greater blessing. We have to let go of our sins and habits for us to experience the joy of having Christ in our lives. We have to let go of our want to being in control of our lives so we can experience God’s great plans for us. We have to let go of that unhealthy relationship for us to be ready to experience God’s perfect one for us. Letting go is not easy, but we just need to have faith that as we do so in faith, God will not disappoint and his great plans will come to fruition in our lives.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for loving me and sending me your Holy Spirit to be with me as you go to the Father. Lord, I pray that I always be open and allow myself to let you take control. I pray for a heart that is ready and willing to let go of things I am holding on to, no matter how valuable they may seem or how happy they may make me, and in an act of faith, surrender to you these things, people and habits. As I do so, I know that you will give me something greater, because me letting go of what I currently have is the only way for you to give me what great plans you have for me. Amen

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-



No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...