Thursday, May 23, 2013

Don't Abuse It


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/052313.cfm) reminds me not to become abusive of God’s goodness

They say that anything excessive is bad – even being excessively good. If we don’t know our limits, there is a risk that people will abuse the goodness you have, thus is does not become helpful to everyone. God’s goodness is infinite. Yes, it does not run out, but we are reminded not to abuse it.

Say not: “I have sinned, yet what has befallen me?”
for the Most High bides his time.
Of forgiveness be not overconfident,
adding sin upon sin.
Say not: “Great is his mercy;
my many sins he will forgive.”
For mercy and anger alike are with him;
upon the wicked alights his wrath.
Delay not your conversion to the LORD,

We say that we should take advantage of the sacraments. That we should maximize the sacraments. We should confess and be at peace with God. However, this should not be an excuse to commit sin.  Yes, he forgives us everytime we confess, but God also sees our hearts. He sees if the repentance is genuine or if we know that we can sin anytime because we can confess anytime. Maximizing and taking advantage of the sacraments is not the same as abusing it.

In the bible, it is said that Jesus only promised heaven to one person – the repentant thief who was crucified beside him. Probably he was a lucky man – having had the chance to repent just moments before he dies, and being promised heaven by Jesus himself. Sometimes we joke about this – how lucky he was to live life the way he wanted to, and just repented before he died. Also, some even go further by joking that we can live our lives the way we want to, just make sure to repent before you die. Well, they say that the greatest lie of the devil is  to make us think there is still time. No need to convert yet, there is still time to repent before we die or when we get old. We can hurt other people, there is still time to make amends later on. We can sin, there is still time to confess. No need to pray or hear mass, there’s still tomorrow or next Sunday. Jesus strongly warns us about this. Do not delay your conversion.

God is a great God – unending in love, mercy and compassion. However, he is also a just God – not leaving the guilty, guiltless. May we remember not to abuse God’s love and goodness towards us.

Father God,
Thank you for today. thank you for giving me another day to live for you. Lord, I pray that I always be reminded not to abuse your love. May I never too complacent of your love for me, of your goodness and compassion over me. Help me make the most of the sacraments, but not to abuse it. Disturb me Lord when I am being too complacent and too comfortable with my life, so that I may not veer away from you. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...