Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Childlike This Christmas


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/120412.cfm) reminds me how God wants us to be childlike.

I love toys. Even until now, my favorite toys are still displayed in my room. It gives me happiness, seeing those toys and remembering my childhood when I would just play with them. I love receiving toys as gifts. Seeing and touching the wrapped gifts are exciting for me, especially if I sense that a toy is inside. I love that feeling – the anticipation of the day you would be able to open it, that you would know what kind of toy it is, and that you would be able to play with it.

As a kid, I looked forward to two occasions I would be getting gifts – My Birthday and Christmas. One christmas, my favorite ninong and uncle asked me what I wanted. I told him I wanted a family computer game, the 15 in 1 kind, para mas madaming games. OF course, I was expecting him to give me that gift, so the entire Christmas reunion, I was excited and looking forward to the time when gifts will be exchanged, which usually is the last part of the event. When he gave me my gift, lo and behold, I got a wrapped shirt box!

Imagine a kid, expecting a family computer game as a gift, then receiving a shirt! I was so disappointed, and was quiet the entire trip home. I believe my mom noticed, and asked me what was wrong. I told her I was sad because I was expecting my game, but got a shirt instead. She told me one thing I would not forget – that in life, you wont always get what you want, or what you think you deserve, but it should not bring me down, and life goes on. Well, even at that age, she got the message across. When I was feeling better, she told me to open the gift which I did not open because I was not excited to see a tshirt. When I opened the gift, I was happily surprised to see what my playful uncle / ninong did! He taped the gift in the box so I would not hear a sound even if I shake it. Well, I was so happy I got my 15 in 1 family computer game!

How is that related to the gospel?

I believe that like that kid, we too experience the same thing in our lives, just at different levels. We sometimes, or oftentimes, do not get what we want, what we pray for, or even what we think we deserve. We work so hard to get the job or promotion, but nothing. We live honest lives, faithful to the gospel values, but we are still persecuted. We are honest citizens and pay our taxes, but still abused and exploited. We give our best in courting who we think is the perfect girl, but get a “no.” We pray so hard for healing and other things for our family, but our prayers seem to fall on deaf ears.

God’s ‘no’, or his silence, does not mean he does not love us or he does not listen.

There are a lot of things we don’t see, a lot of things we don’t understand, so we just have to trust in God and his plans. He sees the entire picture, he is the master painter seeing the whole masterpiece, while we see only a small part – the part concerning us only. We should just  trust in God and his great love and perfect plan, even if we don’t get yet what we pray for.

They say that God answers our prayers in three ways: Go and he gives us what we want, No and he gives us something better, Slow and he gives us the best.

May we work to develop that childlike faith not just this Christmas, but as we live our lives.

How many times have my prayers seem to have been unanswered? What prayers do I feel or think God do not answer? What do I do about it – do I act like a spoiled brat and rebel against Him, or do I patiently wait in faith, knowing that he knows what is best for me?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for reminding me how important it is to have a childlike faith. Lord, I know in this life, I won’t always get what I want, I wont always get what I pray for, even if I feel I deserve it or that there is nothing wrong with what I am praying for. Give me faith, Lord, to see beyond what my eyes can see. Give me faith to continue to trust in you, no matter what. I know I wont always get a nintendo game wrapped inside a box, but I know Lord that as you say no, or not yet, as I wait, you will give me something better, with everything according to your perfect plan. Amen.

Stay blessed!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...