Sunday, December 30, 2012

Holy Family


As we celebrate the Feast of the Holy Family, the WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/123012.cfm) reminds us how we should act as we build our own family.
The family is the basic unit in society. That is why it is very important. And in a family, just like in community, there should be guidelines and rules to be followed in order to preserve harmony and peace.
The first reading carries a very strong message. It echoes the fourth commandment – Honour your Father and Mother. The reading tells us that we should honor and respect them, and that it carries great rewards. God sets no qualifier on when we should honour our parents. As long as they are not leading us to commit sin and disrespect God, we should honour them, even if there are conflicts in behavior, even if for us they should act better, even if they are not ideal parents – we should honor them, period.
Jesus in the gospel is an example of this. He knows what he should do on earth, he knows his purpose that’s why he is preaching in the temple. However, being also human, he knows he is subordinate to his earthly parents, and even if they don’t understand yet God’s plan for Jesus, he obeys Mary and Joseph and came down with them and lived with them. Humility. Respect. Honouring the parents.
They say that this is the season where we go back to our families. There are Christmas family reunions, people go back to the province to be with family, people abroad come home to be with their families. Being such, it becomes painful for those who have lost member/s of their families. Let us make the most out of this Christmas season and spend time with our families, building our own holy family on earth, and reach out to others who are not so blessed.
How do I treat my parents? Do I still respect them, the way I did when I was young, growing up, and dependent on them? Or has education , success and wealth changed the way I treat and relate to them? Am I thankful for my parents? What is God telling me today?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for your message and reminder to honour my parents, and to strive to build my own holy family here on earth. Lord, you know I love my parents, even though sometimes, or most of the time, I may not show or express it. Lord, give me strength to show and express how I love my parents. Help me see beyond their imperfections, and remember to see them as my first “Jesus” in life. They were the ones who first loved me on earth, who first made real your love for me on earth, and I pray that I always remember that, that I always see you in them, no matter how imperfect I may think of them or no matter our differences are.  Help me make the most out of the time I have with them, and make them feel and know how much I love them. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...