Friday, December 14, 2012

Follow the Teacher


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/121412.cfm) reminds me that following the teacher has its rewards.

When we were kids, I would remember our teacher telling us to follow her and be quiet in class, and in turn she would give us little rewards – such as a star on the hand or some candies. Being a quiet (and obedient) kid, this was not a problem to me, and I would happily get the reward the teacher promised. However, for other kids, being quiet is such an effort and the reward is not worth it, so they continue being noisy.

However, we are reminded today that God’s rewards for following him are great:

If you would hearken to my commandments,
your prosperity would be like a river,
and your vindication like the waves of the sea;
Your descendants would be like the sand,
and those born of your stock like its grains,

Also

R. Those who follow you, Lord, will have the light of life.
He is like a tree
planted near running water,
That yields its fruit in due season,
and whose leaves never fade.
Whatever he does, prospers.

This level of obedience may be very shallow. You follow God because of the rewards. Ultimately, we should follow God because we love him, because we know that there’s nothing else that’s important. However, while we’re still not in that level, no matter what the reason may be, what is important is we follow God, and as we do so, he will slowly change our hearts to love him more, to want him more, and we will get a greater reward.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for reminding me how important and rewarding it is to follow you. Lord, it may not always be easy, but I will do my best to follow you. help me remain faithful to that, because I know that as I do so, you would slowly transform me to be the person you want me to be. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...