Thursday, December 6, 2012

Act on It


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/120612.cfm) reminds me to act on what God is telling me.
When I was in college, part of the program in my course was to have a three month on the job experience. The company I spent that period with required even their OJT participants to undergo a medical examination. When I went to have my medical exam, I was told that I had a tendency to have high blood pressure (BP) and was advised to monitor my BP daily and watch my diet – low salt low fat. At first i was hesitant to do it, but eventually I did follow and had my BP checked daily, and watched very closely what I ate. By God’s grace, after three months, my BP became normal, plus I lost weight. =)
In today’s gospel, like what I experienced, we are told what to do. Listen to God’s word and act on it. Listening is not enough. It is easy to listen. The hard thing it to actually act, to actually move and do something about it. That’s when real work begins. If I did not listen to what I was told, I wouldn’t lose weight and get back in shape.  Same is true with God, even if we know what is expected of us, if we don’t act on it, it means nothing.
There are a lot of ways God uses to reach out to us. He uses technology, situations, people and a lot of other things to remind us how much he loves us, and to try to get our attention and get us back on track. Knowing what God wants is not enough. Knowing that he wants us to break a bad habit, to let go on an unhealthy relationship, or live a life pleasing to him is not enough. We should actually do it… and stick to it.
Do I search for God’s will in my life? Do I follow God’s will? What areas of my life have I not surrendered to God? What keeps me from doing what God wants, from acting upon what He is telling me? What am I waiting for before I act on his word?

Father God,
Thank you for being so creative and patient in reaching out to us. Thank you for not giving up on us. Thank you for using a lot of ways to reach out to us, to let us know what you want us to do with our lives. Lord, I ask that I be sensitive to recognize it, and be persistent in discerning your will when it is not obvious. Help me have the heart to act on your word, to follow your will when I know it. I know it is not easy, sometimes it is easier to pretend not to know, so Lord I ask that you help me move my feet and do it. May I be ready and willing to surrender and submit to you as I act on your Word. Amen.

Blessed Thursday!

In Christ,
-g-
Ps
See related reflections:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...