Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Why Doubt?


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/121912.cfm) reminds me not to doubt God’s word, no matter how impossible it may seem.

They say nothing is impossible with God. I believe this is true.

However, as human beings, we have the tendency to limit God to the things we think is possible. We sometimes think that God is just a human being like us.

Our faith is sometimes based on the logical probability of one thing happening. We sometimes believe things only if we know that it is possible to happen. Or, some of us believe more if we think it really is possible.

We see two different reactions in the Word today. In the first reading, Manoah’s wife was told by an angel that she will bear a child. Being barren, it is something that she wants, but may not necessarily believe or expect. However, she did not doubt the angel’s word, and was not disappointed when she bore samson.

However, in the gospel, we see the opposite reaction. Zechariah did not believe the angel’s word. He doubted. Probably he was tired of praying and expecting a child. Probably he thought it was impossible in their old age. Whatever his reasons were, we knew that he became mute because he doubted. But that did not prevent God from being true to his word.

God is not restricted by time and space, and his goodness does not depend on our reaction towards it.

No matter how difficult it may seem, when God says so, it will happen. We just need to have faith and believe in Him, so that we can maximize the time we spend while waiting for his word to be fulfilled.

What things in life am I praying for? What is God’s answer to me? Do I believe him when things seem impossible? Is my faith restricted by my surroundings? Do I know and believe that nothing is really impossible with God?

Father God,
Thank you for reminding me of your love, power and goodness. Thank you that your goodness is not affected by my actions. Like Zechariah, I may doubt, but you still stay true to your word, and I thank you for that. Lord, I have a lot of questions and concerns right now. There are a lot of things I do not understand. But Lord, I continue to hang on to you, that you have great plans for me, that everything will unfold in your perfect time. Help me have that faith, so that while I wait for your time, I may serve you with a happy and joyful heart. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...