Saturday, December 8, 2012

Fiat! 2012


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/120812.cfm) reminds me how important and powerful our “yes” to God is!

Mary’s Fiat, her “yes” to God was the start of her powerful life of service to God. It became the start of God using her intensely for His purpose.

Mary was surprised when the angel visited her, much more when the angel addressed her as “Hail, full of grace! The Lord is with you.” She was even more surprised when the angel told her God’s plan. Yes, she asked a question, but eventually said yes. She may not know what she’s getting herself into. She probably knew the consequences of saying “yes” during that time, being pregnant outside marriage is a grave offense. She would be stoned for it. But she still said yes to God’s plan. She trusted in God so much, that even if there were doubts, even if there were questions, even if there were possible consequences of her yes, she still gave it to God. That’s faith. That’s grace.

As we commemorate and celebrate Mary’s Immaculate Conception today, may we also rejoice, not just because Mary was conceived without original sin , but because God loves us so much. God wanted Jesus’ earthly mother to be pure, because God wants to show us what we can become when we come to Him. Jesus died to save us from our sin, a sin that he, or his mother, did not have. That’s pure love. And the bible tells us that we are new creations if we are in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17). The second reading affirms that “God has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavens.

As we participate in the celebration of the holy mass today (being one of three holy days of obligation in the Philippines, the other two being Christmas (Dec 25) and the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God,(January 1)), may we rejoice with and for Mary. May we feel extra blessed because Mary, our mother, was so special to God and to Jesus. Let us ask for God’s grace so we could be like Mary, who consistently said Yes to God and gave her life for God.

Do I always give my “fiat” to God, even if I don’t fully understand what He is asking of me? What is hindering me from always saying “yes” to God’s call? Do I trust God completely with my life, knowing that He loves me so much? Do I have faith that like the angel said in the gospel, nothing is impossible with God?

Father God,
Thank you for loving me so much. Thank you for giving me what I do not deserve. Thank you for Mama Mary, Jesus’ earthly mother, for you used her to bring salvation to us. Thank you for the example she has been showing us. We ask that you help us be like her. May we open up ourselves and our lives and allow you to use us for your purpose, for your glory. Lord, we know how powerful a spoken word is, and we ask that we always give our “yes” to you, so you can use us for your purpose too. May I live my life like Mary, submitting my will to yours, and trusting in you completely. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...