Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christ is Born! (CHRISTmas 2012)


O Holy Night! The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of the dear Saviour's birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining.
Til He appeared and the soul felt its worth.

I haven’t given much attention to this song before. For me, it was just one of those normal Christmas songs that have been there for ages. However, when a good friend asked me what my favourite Christmas song is, and he said that this song is his favourite, I saw it in a different way. Tlll he appeared and the soul felt its worth. Ang lakas! This encapsulates Christmas. This is what God, through Jesus, did.

The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/122512-mass-at-midnight.cfm) tells us that it is finally here. After weeks of preparing and waiting for Jesus, we now commemorate his coming. For a child is born to us, a son is given us (Isaiah 9:6). Eto na yun. God’s immense love for us made concrete by his sending of his one and only Son to save us from our sins. He even allowed his Son to be born in a manger, with the animals, because he loves us.

Pasko na. We’ve been preparing and waiting for several weeks. How do you feel? Others may have been blessed by attending the “Misa De Gallo” or “Simbang Gabi” every 4AM for 9 consecutive days. Good for you. Others may have been blessed by helping out others who were struck by calamity – because it gave them an opportunity to serve and help out. Praise God. Others may have been blessed by reading His word, praying, and reflecting. That’s great. Pero paano yung iba? What about those who were so stressed preparing gifts, cooking food, arranging get togethers,  that they did not realize it’s already Christmas? How about those who got so engrossed with the year-end responsibilities at work and deadlines for a january go-live that they forgot about Christmas? How about those who did their best, prepared spiritually for this, yet parang wala parin epekto, parang normal lang?

Good news! It’s never too late! Preparing does not end at Christmas. More importantly than preparing for Christmas, it should continue even after Christmas.

Jesus was born in a stable, probably a dirty one, together with animals. This shows external appearance is not so important to him. What’s important is the owners welcomed them. Are we welcoming him as well? IF you haven’t been preparing, ok lang, never too late. If kulang pa yung preparation, ok lang, never too late. If parang walang epekto, ok lang, never too late, dasal pa, sabi nga nya diba, If you seek me you’ll find me, if you seek me with all of your heart (Jeremiah 29:13).

What is important to God is we welcome him, we allow Him to stay in us, no matter how unprepared, no matter how dirty, no matter how unworthy our heart is for Him. IF we allow him to stay, if we welcome him, if we allow him to do whatever he wants, he will use us mightily, and we would glorify God by it, our soul will feel its worth, because Christ sees us worthy.

Father God,
Thank you for this day. Thank you for coming into this world as a little child born in a stable in a little town of Bethlehem. Father, thank you for not being intimidating. Thank you for humbling yourself so we could relate to you. Thank you for your great love for us. Lord, my heart is not so clean. Madumi sya, madami pa kailangang ayusin, linisin. But Lord, however unworthy I am, kakapalan ko na ang mukha ko. I ask, I beg you to come into my life, into my heart, kahit madumi sya. Make the most out of it. Fill it with your love,  that I may always realize how special I am to you. I ask that you grant me the grace to see myself the way you see me – beautiful, worthy of your love, capable of doing good. I ask that you continuously use me to do your work, and this CHRISTmas and always, may I always remember who this is for, who should come first, who my attention and focus should be. Amen.

Let’s not forget the REASON for the SEASON!

Have a Merry and Blessed Christmas!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...