Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Set Out Even If…


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/121212.cfm) inspires me to set out and be of service to others despite of having concerns of my own.
I was on a bus to Baguio yesterday and one of the movies played on the trip was “Hercules Saves Christmas” (see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2048854/). In the movie there was a scene where one of the main characters, Rick, was asked for a donation by a beggar. However, since life was treating him badly, he did not help. He was overwhelmed by his concerns – losing his job and his girlfriend, and about to be evicted by his landlord, that he did not help the poor beggar, even if he could have easily done so.
This is how some of us feel. Sometimes we get caught up on our own concerns that we fail to see the needs of others. We put too much focus on ourselves and our concerns, and feel that we are the only ones with problems or the one with the biggest. We don’t even think about helping out others, thinking that we can only help after our concerns are resolved.
This is very far from how Mama Mary reacted in the gospel.
After being surprised by the angel’s visit, she probably had a lot on her head. A lot of questions, concerns, and worries on what just happened, on what she signed up for. However, this did not stop her from caring for her relative Elizabeth. A pregnant Mary travelled to visit and serve Elizabeth, even if she herself has concerns on her own.
The world is not perfect. It will never treat us perfectly. We will always have concerns, problems, issues and worries. However, this should not prevent us from helping out others. We need to stop focusing on ourselves and help out others, despite of what we are going through in life.
What concerns do I have right now? What is my biggest concern? How is it affecting me? Does it prevent me from helping out others or serving God? What is God telling me today? What does Mama Mary want me to do?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for my challenges that help me grow. Thank you for a lot of undeserved blessings you constantly give me. Lord, I ask that you help me be appreciative of my blessings, and focus on them, instead of focusing on my challenges. Whatever I am going through right now, may it not prevent me from continuing to serve you through others. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...