Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The World’s Greatest


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/081313.cfm) reminds me who the world’s greatest is in God’s eyes.

A few years back, there was a movie about the life of Muhammad Ali, whom many considered one of if not the world’s greatest boxer. The theme song was titled that – The World’s Greatest. He won many fights, he was a respected boxer in the ring, and his skills are superior… that’s why he is a great fighter.

However, God’s standards are different from the world. In fact, it is the opposite.

The greatest in God’s eyes are not the strong and mighty, but the dependent and childlike.

Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven?”
He called a child over, placed it in their midst, and said,
“Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children,
you will not enter the Kingdom of heaven.
Whoever becomes humble like this child
is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven.
And whoever receives one child such as this in my name receives me

Why is a child great? Because of his nothingness. He knows he cannot do anything on his own, so he is fully dependent on his parents. The same way, God wants us to be like that, to know and remember that we really cannot do anything on our own… that we should be fully dependent on God, our father. This is something difficult, especially for successful and independent people who thinks they can do anything and can exist on their own.

Only when we have this childlike attitude, this childlike faith, will we be able to do what Moses has been telling the people in the first reading – do not be afraid. Only when we fully trust and surrender to God will we not be afraid of anything, because we know that God our Father is always on our side.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for sending people in my life who remind me how much you love me and how special I am to you. Lord, I am sorry for the times I put you out of the picture, when I just rely on myself and do things on my own. Help me have the childlike attitude and faith that will always rely on you as I live this life on earth. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflections:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...