Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sto Nino 2013


Today in the Philippines, we celebrate the feast of Sto Nino, and the WORD (See http://kerygmafamily.com/modules/dailyreadings/read.php?date=2013-01-20) reminds me that we should never lose that childlike attitude towards God

In the gospel, we see the young Jesus being left in the temple, and after days, his parents came to pick him up.

When his parents saw him, they were astonished,
and his mother said to him,
“Son, why have you done this to us?
Your father and I have been looking for you with great anxiety.”
And he said to them, “Why were you looking for me?
Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house?”
But they did not understand what he said to them.
He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them

Jesus knew his purpose even at that time, and he knew he was doing God’s work when he was left in the temple. However, when his earthly parents came to get him, even if they did not understand everything yet, he obeyed, he came down with them. He did not insist that they should let him stay in the temple because he should do God’s work. He did not get frustrated at his earthly parents not knowing and not understnading God’s plan and mission for Jesus. Instead, he humbly went home and obeyed his parents.

There are times that we will not agree with our parents. Probbaly it must be the age, or the way we were brought up. We may sometimes have different views and opinions on things. However, like Jesus, even if we know we are right, we should honor God’s commandment and respect our parents. We should not insist on what we know or thinkg, but rather always be obedient and subject ourselves to them (of course as long as they don’t lead us to sin).

In this life, we want to be independent. We want to earn well, we want to be respected in our own fields – be it corporate or having our business. We want to know more things and be educated. However, no matter how much we have accomplised in our life here on earth, no matter how powerful or independent we may be, we should not forget to always subject ourselves to God, to continue to have that childlike attitude towards God.

As we celebrate the feast of Sto Nino, the baby Jesus, may we always be reminded to obey and subject ourselves to God, having a childlike attitude towards him.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for the reminder that no matter what we are able to accomplish in this life, we should always be humble and subject ourselves to you. Lord, help me always have that childlike faith, that childlike attitude towards you. Never let my worldly accomplishments get the best of me and make me forget your place in my life. As I submit myself to you, use me to reach out as well to the little ones of this world – may I be able to make them feel your love in my own little way. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...