Friday, January 11, 2013

Surrendered Faith


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/011113.cfm) inspires and challenges me to have a surrendered faith to God

During the time of Jesus, having sickness and diseases are not only health concerns, but more so spiritual and social concerns. People believed that sick people, especially the unclean like the lepers, are being punished for their sins. They were treated as outcasts, living outside the cities, begging in the streets for survival. This is the life of the person in the gospel.

How excited he must have been to knw jesus would be passing by. He prostated himself and pleaded with him. this shows he had faith, because he knows Jesus can cure him. but his statement shows what kind of faith he had. “Lord, if you wish, you can make me clean” He had surrendered faith – surrendering himself, what he wants, to Jesus’ will. No matter how desperate he was, or how hard his life was, he did not insist that God heal him. he still submitted himself to the will of Jesus… and we  see that he was rewarded for it.

Jesus, in healing him, not only took away his leprosy, but brought him back to society. He asked the man to offer his cleansing – a sign that he indeed is already cured and can be accepted back again in society. His surrenderedf faith was rewarded by Jesus.

Do I have faith? Do I come to Jesus for healing, or do I look for healing and answers elsewhere? When I pray, do I humble myself, or do I insist on what I want, not what God wants? When God gives me second chances, do I make the msot out of them?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you that it’s the last working day of the week already. Lord, thank you for inspiring me and chalenging me to have the surrendered faith the man in the gospel had. I’m sorry for not having enough faith in you, especially when situations seem impossible. I let worldly concerns and situations limit you, your love and your power. Help me have faith like the man, and surrender my will to your will as I put my trust in you. May I strengthen my faith, and bring others to the faith as well. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...