Friday, January 4, 2013

Bring Others To Jesus


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/010413.cfm) reminds me that we should bring others to Christ.

In sports, the crowd has a big effect on the performance of players. In Philippine basketball, especially in the collegiate level, the crowd plays a big part. Althletes gain extra energy from the cheering crowd, plus a pep squad/cheering squad to support and encourage them. This is why some schools really give away tickets to these games, to give their athletes extra support and energy while playing. Supporters and followers  are valuable assets of a team, and each team would like to have as much as they can.

However, in the gospel, we see the opposite. John was very selfless – leading and allowing his disciples to follow Christ. Nevermind if he wont have disciples, because he knows that Christ is the one we should all follow. He was true to his mission to prepare the way for Christ, and is true to his word when he says that “He must increase and I must decrease.” He was not selfish of his knowledge of Christ, and brought others to Him even at the expense of losing his disciples. This act, in turn, was repeated by Andrew, John the Baptist’s disciple who followed Jesus, when he called Simon and brought him to Christ.

It is true what the psalmist says – “all the ends of the earth have seen the saving power of God.” We know this and have experienced this, so we must live what St John the apostle tells us in the first reading- that we should be righteous and show love to our brothers. And one way of showing love to others is bringing them to Christ, knowing that from then on, Christ will take care of them.

Have I experienced God’s love and power in my life? How? Do I share this with others? Do I bring others to Christ, and magnify him in my life, or do I want attention to myself and not to Christ?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you it’s Friday. Lord, I have only been working for a couple of days this year, but it feels like a long week already. I ask Lord that despite the current busyness at work, I may never forget you. May I still be able to recognize you as you come in many forms in my life. May I still be able to bring others to you and bring you to others. Help me not to be too busy or too tired to serve you. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...