Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Pray to be Focused


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/011613.cfm) reminds me how important it is to pray to so we can always be focused on God’s work

Rest is very important. We need rest to recharge our body. That is why it is important to get adequate sleep every night, to rest our body from a busy day, and recharge it for a new day ahead.

In the readings, we see that Jesus is human like us. The first reading says he became like us in every way. He feels what we are feeling. So in the gospel, after healing a lot of people until late at night. If I were in his position, I would probably sleep until late in the morning, thinking that I need (and deserve) some rest for doing God’s work. But not Jesus. In fact, he did the opposite. He slept for a while, and woke up very early, before dawn, to pray. This is where he gets his strength. This is where he recharges. Imagine, the Son of God, rising early to pray! Wow, so inspiring!

Prayer is also how Jesus is able to focus on God’s work. When his disciples found him and told him there are people waiting to be cured, he did not go back, but instead went to another place to preach there. He knew he already proclaimed God’s love and power in that place, and it is time to move to another place to do the same. He did not look for the easy way – it would have been easier to go back because people already knew his power. He would be given much respect and attention – people would take care of him since he was powerful. But he chose to remain faithful to God’s task.

May we be able to realize how important and powerful prayer is, even in our busiest day =)

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for reminding me how important and powerful prayer is. Lord, I am sorry for taking prayer for granted, for not making the most out of it. It is more convenient to say that I’m tired from working, or from doing your work, and I am excused to pray. Lord, give me a heart that would love prayer. May I never be too busy or too tired to want to and actually spend time with you in prayer, for I know how much it can do to me. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflections:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...