Saturday, January 12, 2013

Let God Increase


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/011213.cfm) reminds me that in our lives, we should let God increase

In the gospel, we can see John baptizing. And when his disciples tell him there’s someone else baptizing, someone else attracting people, John immediately recognized Jesus. He knows and remembers his task of preparing the way for Jesus – even if it means that he should decrease because people are going to Jesus instead of to him to be baptized. He knows that Jesus was given that role by God the Father, and John is just too happy to stand at the side and support Jesus as he does his task.

When we pray, we let Jesus increase, and we let ourselves decrease, just like John. We are again reminded to pray in the first reading, and as we pray, we are challenged and asked to live  a life pleasing to God. As we decrease of ourselves, as we let God take control of our life, when we surrender our will to God, we know that we are in Christ, and we can say that we are trying to do what the psalmist says – to delight God.

Am I willing to decrease so that God may increase in my life?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another weekend. Lord, I am sorry for the many times I do my own thing. Sorry for wanting things you don’t want for me, and sorry for being hard headed and doing things my own way. Help me be like John. May I always want to glorify and magnify you in my life. Help me to humble myself, and empty myself and decrease as I let you increase in my life. Amen.

Blessed weekend!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...