Saturday, January 26, 2013

Foolish for God!


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/012613.cfm) reminds me that we should be ready to be foolish for God.

In the gospel, we see the relatives of Jesus saying that he is out of his mind. He is so busy, he does not even have time to eat. He is always out, going to different cities. He goes out with tax collectors and sinners. He interacts with the outcasts of society. Probably, he is out of his mind.

Why? Because he goes all out for God. He is ready and willing to be foolish for God – foolish in the sense of the world, rejecting what the world teaches but instead, doing God’s work.

The reading tells us that:

For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice
but rather of power and love and self-control.
So do not be ashamed of your testimony to our Lord,
nor of me, a prisoner for his sake;
but bear your share of hardship for the Gospel
with the strength that comes from God.

He gave us a spirit of power and love and self-control. For what? To spread the gospel. To do his work. We know that doing God’s work is not easy, and we will have our share of hardships and challenges. However, God’s got that covered too, he gives us the strength to face these challenges.

God equips us as we do his work. We just need to be willing to be fools for God.

Am I serving God? In what ways? Am I willing to go all out for Him, to be foolish for him – step out of my comfort zone and give him my all?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another weekend. Lord, disturb me. Do not let me be relaxed and comfortable with the world. Give me a heart that will be ready to go all out for you, a heart that will be ready to be foolish for you. I know that as I serve you, you will equip me with all that I need, and I trust that you will magnify my work for you. Amen.

Blessed weekend!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...