Sunday, January 27, 2013

Happy Servant


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/012713.cfm) reminds me that we should be happy servants!

The gospel reminds us that Jesus is the one and only true son of God – the only one worthy of our praise, love and service. The second reading reminds us that we are all part of the body of Christ. We may have differences in opinions, differences in beliefs and culture, differences in talents and skills, but we are all parts of Christ’s body. We all have different skills and functions, so we all have different purposes in building up God’s kingdom. We should not compare ourselves with other people, more so be envious of other people. God created us as we are, and whatever we can contribute in building God’s kingdom is greatly appreciated by God, and is needed by God – just like the different parts of the body making up one whole and complete body.

The first reading reminds us to be happy. To be joyful. I believe this is what our attitude should be as we serve God, as we do our role as part of the body of Christ.

Serving is one thing, happily serving is an entirely different thing. It may not be easy to do, especially if we do not want what we are doing, or if what we are doing is challenging, but it makes serving lighter and better. No matter what we do in life, no matter how we serve God, no matter how challenging the situation may be, we should be happy servants – happy for the opportunity to serve God, despite everything.

Am I a happy servant?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to rest and take a break from my routine. Lord, I ask that you give me a heart of a servant. As I live my life on earth, may I not be too focused on myself and on building my dreams, but may I always remember to serve you through my life. As I serve you, Lord, may I not forget to be happy, because I know you want me to be happily serving you. And as I do that, I know it will be easier to bring people to you, since they would be interested to know what kind of God I am happily serving. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...