Tuesday, August 20, 2013

It’s All About God, Not You


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/082013.cfm) reinds me that life is all about God, not me.

In the gospel, we see God calling Gideon and asking him to serve God in a mighty way. However, Gideon initially did not receive it well. He had a lot of doubts, of questions…

But Gideon answered him, “Please, my lord, how can I save Israel?
My family is the lowliest in Manasseh,
and I am the most insignificant in my father’s house.”

Why was he like this? Was he not trusting God? Does he think God is not that powerful?

A lot of times we are also like Gideon. When God asks us to do something for him, something we think is big or something we have not done before, we tend to question – “why me?” or “Can I really do it?.” This shows one thing – we focus too much on ourselves. We focus on what we think we can do, on what we have previously done, on what we think we are capable of.

God does not choose us based on our qualiications. He looks at our heart. And as we are called to serve him in different ways, we should not doubt as we look at ourselves. Rather, we should focus on him and be excited at what he can accomplish as he uses us. The gospel says that nothing is impossible with God. He can do anything, and he can do mighty things to us and through us.

As we are called to serve God. may we not look at ourselves and focus on God, for God does not call the qualified, but qualifies the called.

Father God,
Thank you for today. It is still rainy, and I pray that you keep us safe, especially those greatly affected by the typhoon. Lord, may this not dampen our spirit, but enable us to focus on you and hope on you. Lord, I am sorry for looking at and focusing on myself as you call me, thinking that it is only through my abilities that I can serve you.  Sorry for the times I doubt you, times I doubt your powers and what you can do to me and through me. Also, I am sorry for the times I feel so confident and proud and believe I can do whatever you want me to do because of my own abilities and talents. May I focus on you as I serve you, never on myself. Amen.

Have a safe and blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...