Sunday, August 4, 2013

What Is Important?


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/080413.cfm) reminds me to check what is important in my life.

Generally, we do not anymore live in a world where we can exist one with nature, where we plant what we eat and learn from others and the environment, where clothes can be obtained from plants and houses built from trees and the forest. Nowadays, money is important. We need money to do and have things in life – food, education, shelter, clothes, etc. However, this does not make money god that will rule our lives, and our very existence.

Some people work for money. The lives of others revolve around money and the quest to obtain more of it. Money is needed to buy things of this world – cars, houses, clothes, and other things that some people value. However, when this becomes greed, we should be alarmed. When the quest for money stresses us and bothers us, we should be alarmed. The first reading warns us.

For what profit comes to man from all the toil and anxiety of heart
with which he has labored under the sun?
All his days sorrow and grief are his occupation;
even at night his mind is not at rest

God wants us to let go of greed, of love of money, of everything of the world. The second reading tells us -  immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, greed, lying. These should be let go, together with all the bad habits of the worldly self. God gave us a gift when we followed him – a new self. We just need to choose to put on this new self as we move forward with our lives.

God gave us everything and can take away everything. In the gospel we are reminded that being busy accumulating things of the world is foolish, because God can take us anytime, and all the riches or power that we have cannot stop Him from doing so. May we be wise servants of God, putting on the new self as we live our lives knowing what is important in the eyes of God.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another Sunday to spend time with you, with my family, with my loved ones. Lord, I am sorry for the times I get distracted and focus on accumulating things in this world. Sometimes I get stressed thinking about the future and how to survive. Sometimes I focus too much on saving for the rainy days that I lose sight of the present, I lose focus on how you want me to live my life. May I always be reminded that you will always take care of me, and as I do so, may I live my life for you and not worry about tomorrow. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...