Sunday, August 24, 2014

Who Is He?


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/082414.cfm) reminds me to always put things in perspective so I can see who God really is.

There is a Filipino saying that goes “sometimes, a fly that lands on a carabao feels itself to be higher than a carabao.” Sometimes, people are like this. We forget who God really is in our lives. We forget all his provisions, blessings, power and love in our lives. We think that because we have achieved a lot in this life, we are bigger than Him and don’t need Him anymore.

We should put things in perspective.

In the first reading, we are reminded of God’s power. He can basically do anything he pleases. And in the second reading we are reminded that we have not done anything to God that would make us deserving of his blessings. God does not owe us anything. Well, we are reminded who God really is.

In the gospel, we see Jesus asking the disciples who they say he is. He affirmed Peter when he said that it was God who revealed to him who Jesus really was. This is also the answer we would give Jesus if we have things in perspective. He should be our Messiah. We should remember that without him, we are nothing. We should always be dependent on Him, no matter how much we have achieved in this life. All things, all blessings came from him, and we really cannot take credit for anything. God has been so good and gracious to us, that’s why we are able to achieve things. There is nothing that happened or will happen, that God does not know. Everything has his blessing and permission.

May we be a Christian in the true essence of it. CHRISTian. Without CHRIST, I am nothing. Let us be one with the psalmist in praying: Lord, your love is eternal. Do not forsake the work of your hands.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another chance to love and serve you. Lord, thank you for another Sunday. I pray that I would always have things in perspective. May I always realize how little I am and how big and great you are. May I always be dependent on you. May my life be rooted in you. For I know the truth, that I cannot do anything on my own, and everything I have is from you. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...