Sunday, August 10, 2014

Steady Lord

  
The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/081014.cfm) reminds me that God can be found in the peace and quiet of our hearts.

To get people’s attention, we usually make noise. New restaurants and establishments usually have loud music playing on huge speakers, or even a band playing on their opening or just to get attention for them. Big events usually have marketing campaigns to get the noise out, to get people talking about the event or product. In class, teachers usually scream to get people’s attention. This is how the world works, but not God.

A mighty king that Jesus is, was not born with loud trumpets and people singing. Instead, he was quietly born in a stable. In the first reading, we see God coming to Elijah not in a form of a strong wind, a mighty earthquake or a powerful fire. The mighty and powerful God came in a tiny whispering sound.

Steady.

In the gospel, we see a repeat of this Monday’s gospel. Jesus did not fight the strong wind with a storm or of something stronger. He could have fought it with a storm to show how greater and more powerful he is than nature. But he did not do it. Instead, he calmed it down. The storm died down when he got in the boat.

Steady.

Even though God is all powerful, all mighty, and all glorious, we can find him in the quiet of our hearts. He is a mighty and powerful God, but also a steady one.

Life may find us all busy with work, business, and all the things we want done. All the responsibilities we have – in the office, school, in family, and even socially, can get us all busy and wrapped up in our own affairs. Let us not expect God to shout or wait for Him to hit hard to get our attention. He can, and sometimes he does. But may we not wait for that. Let us find time to be steady – to be quiet, at peace, and search for God, and wait for Him.

How do I live my life? Do I let all the troubles, challenges, and my desires in this life get me all busy and stressed? How do I respond when faced with challenges? Do I easily get stressed, wanting things to happen my way and on my time, or am I steady and peaceful despite everything, knowing that God is in me?


Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another day to love and serve you. thank you for another day to rest and steady my heart, steady my mind for you. Lord, sorry for being so busy with a lot of things in my life. Sorry for not thinking of you, and for expecting you to just understand and support me with what I want to happen in life. May I always find time to be steady, to be silent, to be with you and be in tune with you. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflection:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...