Thursday, August 28, 2014

Be Prepared


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/082814.cfm) reminds us to always be prepared as we wait for God’s coming.

I am reminded by the lyrics of the song “Be Prepared” from The Lion King. Of course, the purpose and intention of Scar is very different, some lines could actually fit into what Jesus may say to his followers.

So prepare for a chance of a lifetime
Be prepared for sensational news
A shining new era
Is tiptoeing nearer

And where do we feature?

Just listen to teacher
I know it sounds sordid
But you'll be rewarded
When at last I am given my dues!
And injustice deliciously squared
Be prepared!


In the gospel, Jesus encourages us to do right while waiting on the master’s coming. It is easy to get distracted by the world, and we can be fooled into thinking that the master will take his time or will not come back at all. This can lead us to living a life not pleasing to the master. They say that the strongest lie of the devil is to make us think that there is still time, that we can continue living in a worldly manner first and enjoy the world, because there will still be time to repent. The master may not come yet, but before we know it, we may be too engrossed in that lie and just realize that it’s our time to face the master and we have no time to repent anymore.

Although it is not easy to live a life pleasing to God, it is possible. Paul writes in the first reading, and reminds us today, that we “are not lacking in any spiritual gift as we wait for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ. He will keep you firm to the end.” Yet again, God reminds us that we have what we need to remain faithful to Him. it is now our choice if we would choose to live that life.

Like the psalm, may we praise God’s name forever by living a life pleasing to Him all the time.

Do I know and accept that Christ will come again? Am I prepared for Christ’s coming? Am I trying to prepare, or am I deceived in the enemy’s lie that there is still time, and that I may first enjoy the world? Am I living a life pleasing to God? Do I go to confession when I fall?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for your Word that reminds us to be prepared. Lord, mahirap. There are a lot of distractions in this world. The enemy’s lie is very powerful. Pero Lord, I know that they are nothing compared to your great power and great love for me. Help me focus on that love and power, Lord, and not be distracted by this world. May I live a life pleasing to you, because you deserve it, because you deserve my best attitude, because I love you. Amen.

Have a blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflections:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...