Monday, August 11, 2014

Glorious but Humble

  
The WORD today (See http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/081114.cfm ) reminds me that we should always be humble, no matter the situation may be.

One of the bad attitudes of powerful, important and influential people is the “hindi mo ba ako kilala (Don’t you know who I am)?” mentality. Powerful people want to be treated as such. They want to feel that they are above everyone else. Don’t you know who I am, I am an important person, why are you making me wait in line? Don’t you know who I am, I am a powerful person, why are you giving me a traffic violation? Worldly success, fame, power and influence can get to the head, and it can affect how one lives life on earth.

We can learn a thing or two from Jesus.

In the first reading, we see a vision of the glory of God.

a huge cloud with flashing fire enveloped in brightness,
from the midst of which (the midst of the fire)
something gleamed like electrum.
Within it were figures resembling four living creatures
that looked like this: their form was human.

Above the firmament over their heads
something like a throne could be seen,
looking like sapphire.
Upon it was seated, up above, one who had the appearance of a man.
Upward from what resembled his waist I saw what gleamed like electrum;
downward from what resembled his waist I saw what looked like fire;
he was surrounded with splendor.
Like the bow which appears in the clouds on a rainy day
was the splendor that surrounded him.
Such was the vision of the likeness of the glory of the LORD

And in the psalm, we are reminded that heaven and earth are filled with God’s glory.

However, despite all these, in the gospel we see how humble and simple Jesus is.

Jesus asked him, “What is your opinion, Simon?
From whom do the kings of the earth take tolls or census tax?
From their subjects or from foreigners?”
When he said, “From foreigners,” Jesus said to him,
“Then the subjects are exempt.
But that we may not offend them, go to the sea, drop in a hook,
and take the first fish that comes up.
Open its mouth and you will find a coin worth twice the temple tax.
Give that to them for me and for you

He could have said that he did not need to pay taxes. But he is a just and humble God, and he wants us to be like him.

No matter how accomplished we may be in this world, no matter what great things we think we have done, no matter how much honor and respect we think we deserve, we are reminded to be humble and grounded. Jesus had all the right to be proud, he is the Son of God anyway, but he showed us with how he lived his life, how truly humble he is. And he wants us to do the same.

There is nothing we have that is not from God. May this fact put things in perspective, and encourage us to live right.

Father God,
Thank you for today. thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another week to love you, to serve you, to experience you. Lord, I thank you for all the blessings you have been giving me. I pray that I may always be humble as I remember that everything I have is from you. Amen.

Blessed week!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...