Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Generous God


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/082014.cfm) reminds me how generous God is.

God is a generous God. His standards are not the same ours. That is why in the gospel, he gave the same benefit to those who worked a bit as to those who worked the whole day.

‘My friend, I am not cheating you.
Did you not agree with me for the usual daily wage?
Take what is yours and go.
What if I wish to give this last one the same as you?
Or am I not free to do as I wish with my own money?
Are you envious because I am generous?


Unfair to those who worked for the whole day? Probably, in the twisted sense of the world. We would think those who worked more should be given more.

However, they were given what was told them.
God is fair and did not cheat those who worked for the whole day. He just decided to be extra generous and gracious to others, like the ones who worked last, like the repentant thief crucified beside Jesus whom he brought in heaven. If the people had not known there were late comers who got the same benefits as them, probably there wouldn't be a problem because they got what they expected, what they were told. Being envious changed everything.

We can feel like this if we
focus on ourselves
. We have been trying to live a good life, following God, and we think that others who enjoy this world too much should go to hell. We only think of ourselves and not their salvation. Probably we are envious of them – that they enjoy this world, yet if they repent on the last minute, they can still go to heaven. Unfair?

Looking at our lives,
we have enough. We can read, can write, can eat, can move about, can breathe, can work. We may not have much, but we have what we need to survive. We have what we need to serve and love God
. We should be contented, right? Problem is when we look at other people and see things they have that we don't. That's when things change. That’s when we feel envious. That’s when we feel God is unfair.

May we focus on God, his generosity and grace, and not on our own concerns, wants, and feeling of envy towards others.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for your blessings. Thank you for your generosity. Lord, I  ask your help me focus on them and not on what other people have. May I always be contented, knowing how much you love me and how much you have been providing for me, and not look at what other people have. As I experience your love and blessings, may I also want to share you to others and may I want other people to be saved as well. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflection:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...