Sunday, June 15, 2014

John 3:16


The WORD today (See http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/061514.cfm) reminds me that God loves us so much, so we should love one another.

When I hear or read John 3:16, I always remember the World Youth Day 1995 here in the Philippines. This is the anchor verse. I was in elementary then and we would learn and practice the song "Tell the world of his love" in school. It felt like a school thing, because we always did it in religion class. But when I went to Luneta with my family, I saw a lot of people there. Singing the song. Wow, it was more than a school thing. And when we were blessed to have the Pope's convoy passed our way, my grandfather told me that we were blessed to see a glimpse of the Holy Father in our life. Then I felt that it was more than just a school thing. It was a calling, to tell the world of God's love.

"God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life"

In the gospel, we see Jesus telling us how much God loves us. And in the second reading, we see that we are asked to love others. In the first reading, we see how loving and forgiving God is, so we should also do the same to others. We should proclaim his love to the world.

Loving our family and those good to us is easy. That's basic. But to proclaim God's love is loving the unlovable - like us, who always sin and hurt Him, yet still experience his great love and blessings. There are a lot of unlovable people in society, and in our lives. May we learn how to love them without tolerating their bad habits, just like how God loves us without tolerating us.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another Sunday. Thank you for your love. Today, I lift up to you in a special way all fathers and father figures in our lives. They have made your love more alive and real. Lord, help me to love like you do, without tolerating sin. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...