Friday, June 20, 2014

Safe Treasure


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/062014.cfm) reminds me what kind of treasure is safe to have.

When I was a kid, I remember watching the movie Richie Rich. What a house that was, with their own theme park and Mc Donald’s! In one of the scenes, the bad guys kept hostage the parents and led them to the rich mountain where the family kept their most precious possessions. When the vault was opened, the bad guys were surprised to see items with no or little monetary value - bikes, old stuff, first letter, etc. They got mad and asked where the jewels, cash and diamonds are - precious possessions for the thieves. Then the couple answered that those things are in banks, and those non-valuable items for other people are what are precious to their family.

In the gospel, we see Jesus telling us the same thing:

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and decay destroy, and thieves break in and steal. But store up treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor decay destroys, nor thieves break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there also will your heart be"

What do I consider treasure in my life? What are in my rich mountain - the precious items in my life? Do I work so hard to attain worldly riches, power and fame? Do i compromise my values to attain things that can be stolen away, that will decay and be destroyed?

Jesus reminds us to be wise. All of the things in this world is temporary. He invites us to put permanent items in our rich mountain - good works, kindness, faith, service to God through others. These things, though may not have worldly values, are what will be permanent, are what will remain even when the world perishes.

Again we are reminded of the old saying. Working for God does not pay much. But its retirement plan is out of this world.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another friday! Thank you for a weekend coming up! Lord, thank you for reminding me what is important in this world. May I live my life working for and storing up permanent riches rather than worldly temporary ones. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...