Friday, June 6, 2014

Rebanse


The WORD today (See http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/060614.cfm) reminds me that God will always give us a second chance to redeem ourselves.

In street basketball, the term "rebanse" means that a losing team will be given a chance to redeem themselves. It means a that the losing team will play another ballgame with the winners - a rematch to allow them to redeem themselves or take "revenge" for their loss.

This is similar to what Jesus gave Peter in the gospel.

When Jesus was arrested, Peter denied him three times. So when Jesus rose again, he did not just tell Peter he is forgiven and asked him to work for God's kingdom. He first gave him a chance to redeem himself, to tell Jesus "I love you" three times, one for every time he denied Jesus. Then he was told to follow him.

"Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” ... And when he had said this, he said to him, “Follow me.”

Jesus also gives each one of us the chance to redeem ourselves. Our own rebanse from our sins towards him. He calls to live a right life, and when we fall, we have the sacrament of reconciliation where we can confess and receive forgiveness, so we can again follow Jesus. He calls us to serve him, not just once. And even if we say no, he continues to call us, until we say yes to him.

God is not a "one-false-move-you-die" God. He will always be the gracious winner, giving us a rebanse - a chance to redeem ourselves and do things right.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for being so generous and merciful. Lord, I thank you for being so patient with me. Lord, thank you for always giving be a chance to redeem myself from my sins, from hurting you, and from saying no to you. May I make the most out of it. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflection:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...