Sunday, June 22, 2014

More Than Bread


The WORD today (See http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/062214.cfm) reminds me how blessed we are to have the Eucharist.

There was a story of a protestant and a catholic talking. The protestant asked the catholic: "is it true that in your religion, you believe that the Eucharist is the actual body and blood of Christ?" To which the catholic answered yes. Then the protestant said: "wow. If that were the case in our religion, I would do anything to receive him everyday!"

This story struck me. Sometimes we actually do not realize how blessed we are in the belief in the Holy Eucharist. As Catholics, we believe that it is the actual Body and Blood of Christ, not just a representation of it! Isn't that amazing?! Sometimes we take it for granted and are just satisfied in receiving Him once a week on Sundays.

As we consume the Holy Eucharist, it is actually God who consumes us. If we are in the proper disposition as we receive it, God will slowly transform us and consume us. It is his body we are taking.

The gospel says:

Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him...This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever.”

May we have a renewed love for the Holy Eucharist, and may we do our part to spiritually prepare ourselves as we receive Him, so it will be easier for him to change us, to consume us.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for my faith. Thank you for yourself readily available in the Holy eucharist. Lord, give me a heart that would always be excited to receive you. Help me do my part and prepare spiritually so you can easily change me and consume me. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...