Thursday, June 13, 2013

First Things First


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/061313.cfm) reminds me that we should be aware of the little things before it gets big, and take care of important things first.

In grammar, the term “root word” is used to refer to the root or the source of the word. There may be differences in meaning, pronunciation or spelling from the root to the complex word, but it’s essence is similar to the root or the source of the word.

This is why in the gospel, Jesus reminds us to look into the root of sin. These seemingly small and insignificant feelings can actually be the root of sin and its outward manifestation. For example – anger. Probably it’s no big deal, because we all get angry from time to time. But when it goes unchecked, this anger may lead to sin – murder, which is directly in violation of the commandment. Same is true with other small feelings – envy, lust, bitterness, etc.. these things may be small or normal, but if we harbour these, it will eventually get big and lead us into sin.

What should we do about it? Take care of it first.

We should not say that it’s okay, it will eventually die down. Or its okay to feel envious of what others have, ill be able to buy it anyway someday. Or it is okay to feel lust, I’ll be able to get over this eventually. Meanwhile, I will just continue living my life and not worry about these things. This is NOT how we should look at it.

The gospel shows us Jesus telling the people to make peace first before we offer to God. Does that mean God won’t accept our offering if we have issues or concerns? Definitely not, he will still accept it… but We want to give God the best version of our self. We want to address things while they are still small. We want to take care of important things and not ignore them and act as if nothing is wrong.

May we be challenged and moved into action.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for giving me another day to live my life for you. Lord, I am sorry for all the things I do that hurt you. Sorry for harbouring thoughts and emotions that are not of you. Sorry for ignoring things in my life that I should fix. Lord, I pray that your word today moves me. May I always be reminded to let go of emotions that are not of you, because these emotions may lead me into sin. I also ask that you help me move and fix the areas of my life that needs fixing. Help me continuously become better, because as I live my life for you, as I offer myself to you, I want to give you the best version of me that I can be. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...