Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Generous and Cheerful Giver


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/061913.cfm) reminds me that God loves a generous and a cheerful giver.

We get what we give. The first reading tells us – “whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.“ Treat it as an investment, the more you give, the more you invest, the more you can earn and receive back. This is how God works. He cannot be out given. He will definitely give you back more than what you give him, so the more you give him, the more you will receive from Him.

In the gospel, we see further how generous God wants us to be. Generous to others – not to ourselves. As we give, be it alms to others, prayer and fasting to God, we should do so for God and others – not for ourselves. We should not want or expect affirmation or good words for our actions, for it clouds our motives. If we want or expect that, we might be giving to others not really for them, but for us, for us to receive affirmation and recognition for our actions… which is not what God wants from us.

As we generously give, God also wants us to be cheerful and happy about it. “God loves a cheerful giver.” Giving is one thing – we can give if we feel obliged to, or forced to. Yes, it can still help others, even if it was given with a heavy heart… but that’s not what God wants. God does not only want us to give generously, he wants us to do so with a happy and cheerful heart. We should not think about what we will lose as we give to others, but be happy that we are able to share and bless others with what God has blessed us with.

How is your disposition towards giving? Do you regularly give to others your time, talent and treasure? How? How much do you give, generously or do you hold back and wait for the time till you feel you have more than enough before you give to others? What is your disposition when giving? Are you a cheerful giver?

Father God,
Thank you for today. thank you for reminding me that you want be to be a generous and cheerful giver. Thank you that your standards are not like the world’s, that my heart as I give is more important than the worldly value of what I offer. I thank you that even though I may not have a lot in the standards of the world, I just need to give generously of what I have, and I know this is more than enough for you, that you will magnify it so that it may help a lot of people and so that you may be glorified with my offering. And I thank you that as I give, I know I will receive more. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...